Research Interests: Perceptual and cognitive development in early childhood; classification and categorization; interactions between perception and language.
- Toy Play Study
- Understanding Changes in Physiology During Play
- Early Visual Environments of Infants and Toddlers and the Homeview Project
- Parent and Child Joint Play
- Object Training Study
Areas of Study
- Cognitive Science
- Developmental Psychology
- Sensory-motor dynamics of attention and learning
- Development of visual object recognition
- Word learning
The central theoretical question is the study of developmental process and mechanisms of change. The work focuses on early changes in perception, language, and action and how those changes in these areas support each other particularly around the age (12 months to 24 months) that children break into language.