My research uses a systems approach to solve environmental problems related to crop-livestock production systems. I believe in connecting the dots between different disciplines in agricultural sciences and deliver the research result to farmers, stake holders, policymakers and the general public and improve their quality of life and economic well-being. I conduct applied research in areas of:
- Whole farm nitrogen (N) and phosphorus (P) balance.
- Development of best management practices for nutrients (N and P) in crop and animal systems aimed to protect the water, soil and air quality.
- Variable rate manure and fertilizer (N and P) prescription technology for crops.
- Manure mineralization and 4Rs (right rate, right source, right time and right placement).
- Greenhouse gas, ammonia and volatile organic compounds (VOC) reduction from animal-crop systems.
- Climate change and climate smart agriculture through use of existing animal and crop models such as IFSM, DSSAT, APSIM.
- Decision support tools to increase the resiliency of beef and poultry production systems in response to climate change.