I do research on the political ecology of water and ice. From port cities of Brazil, Argentina and Singapore to the Canadian Arctic and subarctic, my ethnography explores the way river and coastal city inhabitants embed themselves into the planetary crust and negotiate water disasters (flooding, pollution, dispossession). My non-fiction creative writing brings geoscience, engineering, law, social life and art into the conversation to highlight social justice and environmental justice.
Regions of Interest:
- South, Central and North America
- Global Port Cities
- Political ecology/cultural politics of water
- Ethnography of infrastructure (flood control)
- Social and environmental justice
- Creative non-fiction writing bridging science, social science and the humanities