- Research on shale gas funded by the Department of Energy.
- Stable isotopes in fossil fuels (oil, coal, gas) reveal how original biological material, heat and time affected the chemical composition of sedimentary organic matter.
- Paleoclimatology of laminated sediments from the Santa Barbara Basin off California and in Vietnamese maars.
- Radon isotopes in soil-built dwellings in developing countries.
- Subterranean methanotrophic consumption of atmospheric methane.
- Development of organic hydrogen, carbon, and nitrogen stable isotope reference materials.
- isotopes in organic matter
Since 1993, my research at Indiana University expanded from paleoceanography of varved sediments to include stable isotope aspects of organic matter in ecology, fossil fuels, and food. Research projects in Vietnam recently focused on paleolimnology, radon isotopes, and atmospheric methane.
- Research on shale gas; stable isotopes in fossil fuels (oil, coal, gas); paleoclimatology of laminated sediments; radon isotopes; subterranean methanotrophic consumption of atmospheric methane.
Research: Fossil fuel; Paleoceanography; Sedimentology; Stable isotopes
- stable isotopes in fossil fuels; stable isotopes in biomass; paleoclimatology of laminated sediments