My research is in the philosophy, history, politics, and culture of information, documentation, knowledge, and communication in the 20th and into the 21st centuries in the U.S. and Western Europe and in the discipline of Library and Information Science.
- Information and Library Science
- Data Science
- Social Informatics
- Ethics and Values in Digital Society
- Knowledge Organization, Cultural Informatics, and Natural Informatics
- Theory and history of documentation and library and information science
- Computer Mediated Communication and Social Media
- Critical algorithm theory
- Infrastructure Studies
- Intellectual Freedom and information/data ethics
- Media Studies
The approach that I take is that of Critical Information Studies/ Critical Informatics. In this approach I use rhetorical, conceptual, and historical analyses.