Specializing in a broadly conceived tradition of epic poetry (beginnings to the present), he has a similarly eclectic range of research and teaching interests, both theoretical (gender, orality studies, narrative and genre theory) and literary (comparative, medieval, twentieth-century, and the writing of poetry).
Subject areas: Poetry; Poetics; The Epic; Women's and Gender Studies; Criticism and Theory
The working title of his next scholarly project is Local Heroes, which promises a study of American local, state, and regional epic.
Current Research Projects:
- Local Heroes, a study of American regional epic
- Baal, a new translation and edition of the Canaanite epic
- HyperEpos, the most comprehensive collection of links to epic texts, resources, and materials on the Web
- Piping the Epic, a data mashup which draws news and information on epic from around the Internet
Current Projects in Poetry:
- Kudzu Harp, currently seeking a publisher
- The Invisible Child (from a manuscript in progress)
- A sample of published work