- Basic biology and therapeutic applications of Schwann cell cultures
- Signaling mechanisms underlaying Schwann cell proliferation and differentiation
- Development of culture systems for primary Schwann cells
- Schwann cell transplantation in the spinal cord
Research in the Monje laboratory focuses on the study of Schwann cells in their dual role of forming a myelin sheath and promoting axon regeneration after injury.
For her studies, Dr. Monje relies on a combination of cell biology and genomic approaches to address the myelinating and regenerative capabilities of Schwann cells obtained from humans and experimental animals.
- Spinal Cord and Brain Injury Research